Sunday, May 29, 2011

Hedge Fund Titan Karl Icahn: Another Major Problem Coming; System Not Working Properly

From CNBC:

I do think that there could be another major problem. Now, will it happen next week, next year, I don't know and certainly nobody knows, but I don't think that the system is working properly. I really find it amazing that we're almost back to where it was, where there's so much leverage going on in the investment banks today. There's just way too much leverage and way too much risk-taking, with other people's money. I know a lot of my friends on Wall Street will hate my saying this, but the Glass Steagall thing or something like it wasn't a bad thing. In other words, a bank should be a bank. Investment bankers should be investment bankers. Investment bankers serve a purpose, raising capital and whatever, but I think today, and i know a lot of people won't like hearing this, what's going on today, I think we're going back in the same trap, and i will tell you that very few people understood how toxic and how risky those derivatives were. CDS were extremely risky the way they were used, and you look at Wall Street and you say, hey, they did it, but then you can't really blame the Wall Street guys. You can't blame a tiger. If you take a fierce man-eating tiger and put him in with a lot of sheep, you can't blame the tiger for eating the sheep. And that's the nature of the tiger. And that's the nature of Wall Street. I'm not saying they're bad but that's their nature, and the government should regulate finance.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/43186256/Carl_Icahn_Wall_Street_Back_To_Its_Old_Tricks

No comments:

Post a Comment