Saturday, October 10, 2009

Has Wall Street Really Changed?: Bill Moyers' Interview

Bill Moyers on PBS interviewed former International Monetary Fund chief economist Simon Johnson and US Rep. Marcy Kaptur (D-OH) on the state of the economy.

From the Transcript:

MARCY KAPTUR: And you know, looking at it from the heartland, when I look at Wall Street and all their connections into Washington, and I've been at it a while now, it's very disheartening to me, because I know they don't care about us out there. We're flyover country for them. And they're just out to make money...


BILL MOYERS: So, Simon, what happens now? If we're going to avert a depression and the next calamity, what needs to be done?

SIMON JOHNSON: Well, I think you have to keep at it, Bill. I mean, that's the lesson from previous generations of Americans, who have really confronted entrenched power like this. You have to keep at it. And you mustn't be satisfied. When the Administration says, 'Okay, we fixed it. Don't worry. We did some technical tweaking on capital requirements, for example, in the banks.' You have to say, 'No, that's not true. Let's look at what's happening, let's follow it through.'

The muckrakers of today are absolutely essential, I think, to really pushing these banks. And revealing what they're doing. And by the way, Bill, it's going to I think it's going to be a long haul. I think that the economy will start to recover. We'll get some jobs back. It's going to be very painful for a lot of people. But other people's attention is going to drift. It's a three, five, seven, maybe twelve year cycle. But when it comes back, it will come back with a vengeance. And it will be even, I think, even more devastating, in all likelihood, than what we just saw...


SIMON JOHNSON: Louis the Fourteenth of France, a very powerful monarch, was famous for having many bad things, you know, happen under his rule. And people would always say, 'If only Louis the Fourteenth knew. I'm sure he doesn't know. If we could just tell him, he'd sort it out.' You know. I'm skeptical.

www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/10092009/watch.html


On a personal note, I lived and worked for a manufacturing firm in a small town of the Midwest. I remember that manufacturing plant jobs were supporting the local economy. Now many are losing their jobs and homes. I concur with Marcy Kaptur’s view on American towns suffering.

I visit Simon Johnson’s blog on a daily basis and hope he is wrong with being skeptical.

On another note, journalism is close to my heart and I commend Bill Moyers for his journalistic integrity (I posted another link of his interview before).

No comments:

Post a Comment