Thursday, December 10, 2009

Thoughts on Writing Posts on the Blog

I started writing on the blog mainly because I wanted to put up some of my drafts I’ve been working on to get some inputs from people around the globe. Then the global financial crisis has gotten worse since the Lehman collapse, so I started writing a blog post on the current matters as they evolve. Of course, the ongoing affairs are closely interrelated with the books I’ve been working on.

I’m careful when I put up my comment on the U.S.’s sites and blogs regarding innovation and economics because despite my good intention (I spent a good portion of my life in the U.S., so I do understand its system and culture, but still), being a non-American I may come across rather condescending and offensive. It would be like how I feel when I see someone other than a Korean criticize the Korean policies and corporate strategies and practices from their perspective. The same holds true for a Korean who write stuff on Korea, but his view is rather Western-centric (frequently U.S.-funded). It’s our history, our policy, our predicament, and our mistake.

Now I’m posting my analysis and thoughts on the innovation strategies of Korea, their relation to economic/social/political progress, comparison to other countries mainly in the hope that next generations (especially leaders) would learn from our experiences and would not commit the same moral corruption. I’ll continue to write about various current issues as the global economy is unfolding since they’re relevant to all of us.

I am afraid that the path the U.S., Japan and some other countries are taking is in the wrong direction. Many predicaments the U.S. faces are not limited to the U.S. We are in this debacle together.(A lot of countries out there and a lot of trouble brewing.) The Dubai incident is just one of them. If the U.S goes down, many other countries could go down with it (e.g., many countries are in a dollar trap). We may be witnessing historical shifts in the global economy. We seem to live in remarkable times.

We all know that the global economic crisis is far from being over and it’s not just the economic one. I know that despite all our earnest efforts, we may not be able to change the current course of affairs, but I feel we still have to do what we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment