Friday, January 12, 2018

In memory of Fr. Lee Tae-Seok


 It has been 8 years since you passed away.  I feel like you are still alive in South Sudan, diagnosing and delivering care.  You may be teaching music to Sudanese youth.  Of course, you pray with Sudanese people.  I understand that things have not changed much in South Sudan: poverty, illness, and fighting are still going on while some people’s angel-like smiles and warm hearts still shine over gloomy reality.  You had been in South Sudan as a friend and resident, not as a missionary doctor for a short-term stay.

South Sudan is one of the poorest regions in the world and living conditions were extremely poor including the food you ate.  However, you stayed there without losing your precious smile and sense of humor.  Faith is reflected in our lives, and you were a living proof of that.  You can see that I am doing all I can to improve the health and wellbeing of people across the globe.  I am doing it in part in memory of you.  I am aware that without God’s help and blessing I can’t do it and I have to do his work.

I almost lost my vision in my left eye, and my right eye is in danger of requiring another eye surgery.  You know that I almost died when my brain got injured several years ago.  I think God saved me because I still have things to do.  God has committed some work to me.  I have my mission.Fr. Lee, please help me do good and simply obey God’s will, whatever may come.

I still maintain a close relationship with John.  I cherish him, calling him your spiritual son.  He was supposed to come to Seoul to take Korean medical license exam last summer.  I don’t think he did.  His Korea is now fluent, yet he has communicated with me only in English.  He has not said much, and I am waiting for him to talk about what has been going on.  I sent him a text message saying that my prayer is with him and God will lead our ways.  I believe he has his mission as well.  I sincerely hope that he would go back to Sudan to bring healthcare to his people.  I’d like to support clinics set up by doctors like John for financially-strained people.  Fr. Lee, please give him strength and help him make up his mind wisely.


I miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment