Sunday, December 20, 2009

Not Easy to Write about Other Countries

Mish Shedlock who maintains his highly popular blog has a post-up on China. Here is a link: http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2009/12/china-faces-crash-scenario.html

I’ve enjoyed his writing and take on the economy. I’ve found his analysis on the American economy quite astute. Yet, his piece on China was somewhat disappointing in not seeing the whole picture in its historical/political/developmental contexts. I’ve expressed my views on the Chinese economy and their moves on several occasions. Mish’s analysis on China seems to prove again how hard it is to write about other countries without understanding their culture, language, history, system, people, etc, while he says “I have been meaning to write about China for a long time. Finally got it done.” I often feel the same way with Michael Pettis’ posts on the Chinese economy.

This is one of the reasons why I’ve been writing about innovation strategies and trajectories in Korea, as mentioned before in this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment